Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Today's Lesson Plan

Just so you all have an idea of what I get to do on a daily basis, here's what we're talking about today in class: Rafael's "School of Athens", a fresco commissioned by Pope Julius II and located at the Vatican. Be sure to note the extensive use of linear perspective. Think about how that compares to Medieval European art or art from other parts of the world, especially Asia. Note how Rafael presents certain figures as having contemporary (to Raphael) likenesses. For instance, Plato is Leonardo da Vinci. Heraclitus is Michelangelo. Euclid is Bramante. Hypathia is Francesco Rovere (why is Francesco presented as a female?). Can you find Socrates and his "pug" nose? What great Macedonian leader is he talking to? Also note that Raphael has hidden himself among these ancient heroes in his own painting (located mid-level of right edge). Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger sbone said...

I kept trying to read this. I really did. But my eyes glazed over every time and I have no idea what it says.

January 12, 2005 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home